Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Maddie

I love the 1930s prints that are available today. I think they must remind me of fabrics I saw my grandmother & great-grandmother use when I was a little girl. They both had a tremendous influence on not just my sewing, but on many aspects of my homemaking skills. My great-grandmother, Grandma Smith as she was known to me, was a Danish immigrant & made wonderful Danish pastries. Sometimes I wish I picked up that talent, but most of the time I'm pretty glad I didn't since I would no doubt weigh about 50 pounds more than I do & who needs that?!

I made this particular quilt for my great-niece, Madison. If you look closely at the quilt you'll see that the white blocks all have the same quilting design done in pink thread. These were done on my embroidery machine. Isn't today's technology awesome!

As if I need something else to do, I have been busy repainting our bathroom & bedroom. I need to finish ASAP because the weather is hinting of spring & before we know it, it will be time to get outside for all those clean-up & planting chores. So much for new sewing projects.

2 comments:

  1. I love the different color combinations in your quilt blocks. Adding the rick-rack definitely adds to the prettiness of it all. One of these years I will get past my own angst about machine quilting. Lovely stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment about my stitching. I continue to struggle with free motion quilting, but feel as though I can handle straight line stitching. Even after all these years, we all continue to learn, don't we?

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in feedback on my quilts or my blog. Please leave your comments or questions here.